Welcome to Wimborne and Ferndown Lions Club.
Forth Coming Events:
1st April 2017: Spring '17 Quiz night
Who are we?
We are people just like you, men and women, who have decided to give back something to the community, and enjoy working together with others to help those less fortunate than themselves. We also organise some social events, to create fun in their caring attitude.
As a member of a Lions Club, you become aware of the needs of our community and have the advantage to effectively make a difference.
Our Club provides volunteers with project management assistance, leadership training, personal development opportunities, and organized fund raising programs. Being a Lion empowers you to help others in a way no one person alone could.
We are members of Lions Clubs International, which is the largest Volunteer Service Organisation in the World with a universal motto of "WE SERVE".
Membership is by invitation and we have some 1.4 million members worldwide in 46,000 Clubs
within 209 countries and geographical areas. In the British Isles and Ireland we have some 17,000 men and women members in 900 Clubs.
What do we do?
Locally, our activities have included the provision of:-
- Outings for people with learning difficulties.
- "Message in a bottle" - see our web page
- Christmas food parcels for the elderly & those in need.
- Wheel chairs for the elderly.
- Support for local youth groups activities - see our web page
- Providing Life Skills programs to our Schools
- Support for the Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance.
- Support for Julia's House children's Hospice.
- Equipment for the Royal Bournemouth, Poole and Wimborne Hospitals.
- Plus many other ways of supporting people, or groups, in need.
Internationally, we have provided support towards:-
- Prevention, or assistance for, our numerous Blindness / Sight programs.
- Relief supplies, and aftermath recovery, following major disasters such as Tsunamis, earthquakes, floods etc.
- Collecting discarded eye spectacles, for re-use in third world countries.
- Building Water Wells in third world countries.
- Providing ‘edukit', which is a ‘school in box', to continue the education of children in disaster areas.
Go to our 'How we spend Funds raised' page for more information on our various Welfare activities.
How do we do it?
With dedicated help and support of our families, friends and others giving their time voluntarily.
With funds raised through local generosity at our events such as our:-
- Annual Easter egg raffle etc.
- Quiz Nights
- At Carnivals
- With donations from local businesses and individuals in our community.
- Plus other activities
With careful management of funds through our registered Charity account, No. 278860, to ensure that all profits are properly used to finance our welfare projects.
Every Penny that we raise, goes towards supporting our Community.
See our WE CARE about every Penny page.
Watching the video below will give you an overview of Lionism